Looking for a way to warm you and your family up as the weather starts to cool down? Franciso Rinaldi® has you covered! Check out this unconventional, but extremely delicious, recipe for Roasted Pumpkin soup served in Apple bowls!
- 12 XL apples tops cut off, hollowed (reserve 2 cups of apple flesh)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- water as needed
- 2 tbsp pie (sugar) pumpkins stems and seeds removed (reserve seeds), cut into wedges
- 1 large onion cut into large chunks
- 1 cup carrots roughly chopped
- 1 cup celery roughly chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 cups apple flesh reserved apple bowls
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp fresh thyme roughly chopped
- olive oil as needed for drizzling
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup sherry cooking wine
- 4 cups chicken stock or Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Francesco Rinaldi Classic Alfredo Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- nutmeg small pinch
- ground cayenne small pinch
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
Candied Pumpkin Seeds:
- Pumpkin seeds (from 2 small baking pumpkins), cleaned, thoroughly rinsed in a colander, and dried on paper towels
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Cut the tops off the apples. Scoop out the core and flesh of the apple, leaving about a ¼-inch wall including on the bottom (save 2 cups of the scooped flesh). Place the apple bowls into a large water bath w/lemon juice to prevent browning. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Candied Pumpkin Seeds:
- Whisk together the egg whites and water in a medium bowl until whites become thin and homogenous. Add the pumpkin seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cinnamon, sugar, and salt. In small batches, scoop the seeds from the egg white mixture, let drain and place in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Toss well to coat evenly. Remove from sugar mixture and shake off as much excess sugar as possible.
- Place on sheet tray lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees, stirring occasionally, for about 20-25 min or until sugar is caramelized. The sugar will bubble and look foamy. Stir frequently. Remove from oven and move the caramelized seeds to a new parchment lined tray. Spread out the seeds as much as possible and let them cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Render the bacon on the stovetop until crispy. Remove & set aside. Leave the bacon fat in the pan.
- To that pan add the pumpkin wedges, onions, carrots, celery, 2 cups of apple flesh, garlic, salt & pepper, and thyme. Add enough oil to make sure all of the vegetables are lightly coated and toss to coat. Roast uncovered for about 1 hour or until pumpkin is fork-tender (stir occasionally). Remove the pumpkin, carefully scoop out the flesh from the skin and add back to the pan. Discard the skins.
- On the stovetop, deglaze the pan with sherry wine and add the chicken stock and reserved bacon. Reduce/simmer for about 15-20 min. Add the Francesco Rinaldi Classic Alfredo Sauce and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer over med-low heat. Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until butter is melted. Add sugar, cinnamon, and pinches of nutmeg & cayenne.
- Using a blender, puree the soup until completely smooth (puree in batches if needed). If the soup is too thick, add a little more chicken stock. Season with S&P to taste.
- To serve, remove apple bowls from the lemon water and dry on paper towels. Line them up on a sheet pan. Ladle the hot soup into each bowl and top each with shredded cheddar. Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted (1-2 minutes). Serve with candied pumpkin seeds on top.